Friday, May 11, 2012

On the Warpath



Grandpa Curran had lived in our little community for over ten years. The first time I encountered him was at the age of four and a half. I was playing a game of Cowboys and Indians and had taken up a good sniping position in his little front garden behind a sappy bright green leylandii shrub. Suddenly the rattle of a metal gate caused me to look up. There was Grandpa Curran towering above me, eyes quizzically examining the earth smeared face of a boy no more than three feet tall.
I don’t know exactly what thoughts of panic went through my head at that moment but I am sure they ranged from fear of his great height - to his possible anger - right through to an overwhelming feeling that he would definitely give away my position to the Indians.
Much to my surprise however, he folded his long body in a manner which must have taken great gymnastic ability until he was looking me straight in the eye. Eyeing my roughly cut wooden rifle pointing through a gap in his shrubbery he summed up the situation instantly.
“Howdy partner,” he whispered just like in the films. “Injuns on the warpath again?”

No comments:

Post a Comment